The Guardia husband-and-wife team opened their patisserie in Via Borgaro 70 years ago. Then, in 1978, they bought the historic Confetteria Barberis sweetshop in Via San Francesco d’Assisi, established in 1906, complete with its period interior of vaulted ceiling and art nouveau decorations. This is where their son Costantino learned the ropes, progressively innovating production. Classic products, such as traditional Piedmontese fresh patisserie, biscuits and savory puff pastries, have stayed in the range to which lovely colorful modern min-cakes, with passion fruit, marron glacé, rum and blackcurrant, have now been added. Another symbol of the shop is the Langorino (the name conjures up the city of Turin and the Langa hills), a hazelnut biscuit filled with chocolate cream inspired by the classic baci of Alassio. In view of its success with the public, Costantino has extended the range to ten different types, including almond, berry fruits, almond and caramel, all available also at the second shop at Via Garibaldi 27.